World-record sprinter and eight-time Olympic gold medalist Usain Bolt has tested positive for the coronavirus and is self-isolating at his home in Jamaica after last week celebrating his thirty fourth birthday with a big bash mask-free.
Jamaica’s health ministry confirmed late on Monday that Bolt, who holds world records to the 100m and 200m distance, had tested positive after he released a video on social media around midday saying he was lingering to hear back on his results.
“Just harmless Authored quarantined myself and just taking it easy, ” Bolt said during the message that he appeared to have taped himself while lying near bed. It was posted with the caption “Stay safe my ppl. ”
The only sprinter to win the 100m or 200m golds at three consecutive Olympics (2008, 2012 and 2016) stated that he did not have any symptoms of COVID-19, the respiratory health issues caused by the novel coronavirus.
Bolt said he took the test entirely on Saturday, the next day he celebrated his birthday at a harrass where partygoers danced to the hit “Lockdown” by Jamaican reggae artist Koffee.
“Best birthday ever, ” Bolt, who retired brought on by athletics in 2017, wrote on Instagram, posting a photo of themself holding his daughter, Olympia, who was born in-may.
Followers wished Bolt a speedy recovery on social media – “drink in your ginger tea, ” one wrote – although some accused my dude of carelessness.
Daily confirmed cases in Jamaica have increased to more than 60 per day over the past four several days from less than 10 a couple weeks ago. Jamaica now has a few, 612 confirmed cases, with 622 active cases and 16 deaths based in coronavirus.
Officials put the uptick in cases down into the reopening of international borders as well as celebrations over the long weekend in August marking Independence Day and Emancipation Day.
They even distribute put the blame at the feet of people people who refuse to wear masks and practice social distancing.
Each of our pickup has raised concerns over national elections that Jamaican Prime Ressortchef (umgangssprachlich) Andrew Holness called for in September, six months in advance of schedule.
Holness on Sunday suspended all his campaigning activities, including motorcades, home visits and rallies, and asked other parties to finish the really.
Authorities have also delayed the reopening of schools for just one month and citizens are under a national curfew from 7 k. m. to 5 a. m.