Democrats set a high bar last week for the pandemic-era political convention, dispensing with cheering crowds in favor of a virtual pageant that encompassed passionate speeches, a charming cross-country roll call vote, vignettes from an Oscar-winning filmmaker and a low-fi fireworks display above a parking lot. A few hiccups aside, even jaded network executives conceded the party mostly pulled it off.
Now it’s the Republicans’ turn in the prime-time spotlight — and the party led by a former reality TV star is rushing to measure up.
After scrapping plans for a full-bore, in-person spectacle in Charlotte and Jacksonville, Fla., because of the coronavirus, Republicans are working to finalize a week’s worth of events that can match the production put on for the Democratic nominee, Joseph R. Biden Jr., while meeting the exacting — and frequently shifting — standards of President Trump, the Viewer-in-Chief.
Two producers of “The Apprentice,” where Mr. Trump rose to TV stardom, are involved in the planning. Sadoux Kim, a longtime deputy to “Apprentice’’ creator Mark Burnett who once served as a Miss Universe judge when Mr. Trump owned the pageant, is a lead consultant on the production. Chuck LaBella, a former NBC entertainment executive who helped produce “The Comedy Central Roast of Donald Trump,” is also on the payroll.
Party officials say their convention — during which Mr. Trump is expected to speak every night in the 10 p.m. hour — will ultimately surpass the Democrats’ telethon-like show. “We’re going to have more of it live than what they did,” Mr. Trump told Fox News on Thursday. “I think it’s pretty boring when you do tapes.”
Exactly what that looks like remains an open question.
As Monday’s kickoff looms, Republican officials were still deciding what segments to air live and what would be taped in advance. Typically, convention broadcasts require weeks of highly technical preparation. By the weekend, producers at the major TV networks had only a foggy idea of what to expect, although Republicans provided a more detailed rundown on Saturday evening. Still, broadcasters will head into the week with some unknowns.
“We’re treating this as breaking news,” Steve Scully, the political editor at C-SPAN, said in an interview. “Once we know who’s speaking where and when, we’ll send cameras.”
Republicans involved in the planning admit that anxiety began to set in two weeks ago. But on Saturday, they said they were now confident that a fully realized lineup is in place — and that in contrast to the Democrats’ virtual event, voters can expect something more akin to a regular convention, with a focus on live onstage moments featuring Mr. Trump, whom aides described as the week’s “talent in chief.”
Typically, the nominee makes a mundane appearance early in the convention — waving or watching from the wings — before a major speech at the end. Mr. Trump has dismissed that model and now plans to directly address the nation in prime-time on each of the convention’s four nights. The president wants the opportunity to rebut charges made against him throughout the Democratic program, aides said, particularly on his handling of the coronavirus.
A stage has been built at the Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium in Washington, a neo-Classical event space where most of the speakers will address a live audience. Current regulations in Washington prohibit gatherings of more than 50 people; Republican aides say they have hired “Covid experts” to determine how many onlookers can enter the auditorium and what audience participation could look like.
The list of speakers is heavy on the president’s relatives and White House staff members, including Dan Scavino, Mr. Trump’s former caddy who is now deputy chief of staff for communications, and Larry Kudlow, the national economic adviser. Rudolph W. Giuliani, the president’s personal lawyer, will also speak, according to a person involved in the planning.
The lineup also includes Mark and Patricia McCloskey, the Missouri couple that toted weapons at Black protesters and have since become right-wing media stars, and Nicholas Sandmann, the Kentucky teenager who sued news outlets over coverage of his encounter last year with a Native American protester in Washington.
Each night’s events are expected to begin at 8:30 p.m., a half-hour earlier than the Democrats, although the major broadcast networks do not start covering until 10 p.m.
A “Democrats For Trump” segment is planned, though the participants remain a closely guarded secret. Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina, the sole Black Republican in the Senate, will speak, along with two future potential presidential candidates: Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas and Nikki Haley, the former ambassador to the United Nations.
“The Democratic convention was a Hollywood-produced, Old Guard-laden convention, if you ask me,” Kellyanne Conway, Mr. Trump’s counselor, told reporters at the White House on Friday, adding that viewers “are going to see and hear from many Americans who lives have been monumentally impacted by this administration’s policies.”
“We definitely want to improve on the dour and sour mood of the D.N.C.,” added Ms. Conway, who is also slated to speak at the convention.
Shirlene Ostrov, the Republican state party chairman from Hawaii, said she expected the convention “will be much more positive” than the Democrats’ offering.
“If the Democrats could articulate any reason to vote their way without mentioning the word ‘Trump,’ you can’t hear it,” she said in an interview on Saturday in Charlotte.
The president is set to accept his party’s nomination on Thursday from the White House, with fireworks above the South Lawn. The first lady, Melania Trump, will speak on Tuesday from the Rose Garden, and Vice President Mike Pence will appear on Wednesday from Fort McHenry in Maryland, site of a battle in the War of 1812.
All of the sites are controlled by the federal government, meaning the Republican event is likely to violate the Hatch Act, a Depression-era ethics law that bars the use of public spaces for political activities. Some of Mr. Trump’s aides scoff at the Hatch Act and say they take pride in violating its regulations.
The president’s sensitivity to TV production values has also raised pressure on Republican aides to pull off a glitch-free affair.
The Democrats’ relatively smooth experience belied the complexity of mounting a virtual event, from juggling dozens of remote video feeds to avoiding embarrassments like losing picture or sound. To ensure professionalism, the Democrats relied on Ricky Kirshner, the producer of the Super Bowl halftime show and the Tony Awards.
The Republicans’ celebration is being led by longtime Trump loyalists including Ms. Conway; Justin Clark, the deputy campaign manager; Hope Hicks, a senior White House adviser; and Lara Trump, the president’s daughter-in-law. Tony Sayegh, a former Treasury Department official who was brought on as a consultant to help handle the convention, is overseeing plans with Max Miller, a former White House official who took charge of campaign events after Mr. Trump’s sparsely-attended rally in Tulsa, Okla and who has little experience in television production.
The team is consulting with Sadoux Kim, who served as Mr. Burnett’s head of business development for about a decade, earning production credits on “The Celebrity Apprentice” and “The Voice.”
Mr. Kim, whose production firm has received $54,274 in payments from the Republican Party’s convention committee, has a relatively low profile in the TV industry. Several producers who worked on “The Apprentice” said last week they had never heard of him. In 2010, he served as a judge for the Miss Universe pageant, with an official bio saying he “negotiates, packages and manages deals with brands and agencies” for Mr. Burnett’s programs.
Chuck LaBella, the other consultant, has a long relationship with Mr. Trump dating to his time as a talent wrangler on “The Apprentice”; he also worked on pageants for Miss Universe and Miss USA.
At one point, the president’s former lawyer, Michael D. Cohen, steered Mr. LaBella to Keith Davidson, a Hollywood lawyer who negotiated payments on behalf of two women who said they had affairs with Mr. Trump.
A company owned by Mr. LaBella has received $81,603 in payments from the Republican convention committee, according to financial disclosure reports. (Republican aides declined to make Mr. Kim or Mr. LaBella available for interviews.)
For viewers at home, there is a chance that Mr. Trump’s desire for in-person events could backfire.
The Democrats’ virtual roll call, featuring YouTube-friendly dispatches from delegates in their home states and territories, won praise for its kookiness and made an internet star of a masked Rhode Island calamari chef. Republicans, in contrast, are planning for an in-person roll call in Charlotte, but the event is scheduled to take place Monday morning, meaning fewer Americans will see it.