• Fri. Nov 27th, 2020

Physician won a Nobel for helping war rape victims in Congo. Straight away his life is in danger.

GENEVA — You see, the life of a top Congolese doctor who won the Nobel Piece prize for his work treating war rape victims is in faiblesse after a series of death threats, the U. N. High Officer for Human Rights said on Friday.

The threats, received in return in the form of phone calls to Dr. Bliktis Mukwege and his family as well as via media marketing media, appeared to be linked to his outspoken criticism of violence of any kind against women and other human rights violations, another U. N. usual said.

“His life seems to be at serious position, ” High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said in your file, calling for an impartial investigation into the threats.

Oct. 6, 2018 01: 35

Mukwege received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2018 to make his work as a gynaecologist at the Panzi hospital which acquires thousands of women each year, many of them requiring surgery by means of sexual violence.

The hospital is located in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo where ethnic violence is rife, involving various militia and armed groups, as well as counter-operations by the army.

He has received death threats before and survived an shooting attempt in his family compound in the first quarter of 2012.

“The threats take a look to be linked to his advocacy and the very robust spots he has taken on accountability, on protection of women as a meaningful result of what as well as seen over two decades in the Panzi hospital, ” said Rupert Colville, a spokesman at Bachelet’s office, appending that he had also recently criticised civilian attacks in South Kivu.

Download the NBC News app for breaking news and politics

Congo’s government is officially responsible for Mukwege’s exposure, although the U. N. peacekeeping mission in the country also comes with some, Colville said. However, questions remain about the quality of the woman protection, he said, adding he needed 24 hour surveillance.

President Felix Tshisekedi last week called on his government to capture all necessary measures to ensure his security and to open questions into the threats against him.